Capitol Hill Bean Soup.
You can have Capitol Hill Bean Soup using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Capitol Hill Bean Soup
- Prepare 1 pound of dried white navy beans, sorted of debris and rinsed.
- Prepare 1 of (about 1-lb.) ham bone or uncured ham hock (I used the center bone with lots of meat from the ham dinner we had the day before).
- It’s 2 1/2 quarts of water (10 cups).
- You need 1 of large russet potato (about 8 oz.).
- Prepare 3 cups of chopped celery (about 6 stalks).
- You need 3 cups of chopped yellow onion (about 3 medium onions).
- Prepare 1-3 of Garlic clove, minced.
- It’s 3 teaspoons of kosher salt.
- You need 3/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley.
Capitol Hill Bean Soup step by step
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or large casserole; add water to cover, and soak 8 hours or overnight. Drain beans. Add ham bone and water. Cover and bring to a boil over high; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour..
- Rinse potato; pierce with a fork, and wrap potato in a paper towel. Microwave on HIGH until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes; peel and mash potato. Stir potato, celery, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper into bean mixture; simmer over medium-low until beans are tender, about 1 hour..
- Remove ham bone from Dutch oven, and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard bone and fat; dice meat, and stir into bean mixture. Top each serving with chopped parsley.