Tomato 🍅Pie. Fresh chopped tomatoes, basil and onions, topped with mixture of shredded cheese and mayonnaise, baked in a pie shell. Italian tomato pie is an Italian-American and Italian-Canadian baked good consisting of a thick, porous, focaccia-like dough covered with tomato sauce. It may be sprinkled with romano cheese or oregano.
Tomato pie may refer to some types of pizza in the United States, such as: Sicilian pizza, a type of pizza that originated in Sicily. Learn how to make Tomato Pie. Be the first to rate & review! You can cook Tomato 🍅Pie using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tomato 🍅Pie
- It’s 7-8 of fresh tomatoes 🍅 (if the tomatoes are small, then use 8).
- Prepare 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Goya adobo.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of basil leaves.
- You need 2 1/4 cups of Bisquick baking mix.
- You need 1/2 cup of milk OR creamer (more or less depending on the amount of cheese you add).
- You need 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese (or 2 cups if you want it really cheesy !).
- It’s of Sprinkle parsley flakes.
But what is a tomato pie exactly? Certain tomato pies, like the ones popular in Philadelphia "The bakery tomato pie starts with pan-proofed, focaccia-like dough that's topped with a chunky tomato. Savory Tomato Pie is a Southern comfort food classic. Layers of tomato, onion, basil, and cheese are baked in a flaky pie crust shell for an indulgent savory pie that is hard to resist!
Tomato 🍅Pie step by step
- Rinse and dry your tomatoes 🍅……
- Thinly slice tomatoes and place in a large baking pan that has been sprayed with butter cooking spray, making sure to overlap each slice……..
- Sprinkle all over tomatoes your black pepper, adobo and basil leaves…….set baking pan to the side……
- Meanwhile in a bowl mix together your Bisquick baking mix, milk OR creamer and sharp cheddar cheese…….Bisquick mixture should be moist and not dry, so you can add more or less milk / creamer if you like……
- Pour Bisquick mix all over your tomatoes 🍅……Spread mixture evenly throughout your tomatoes…….
- Sprinkle some parsley flakes all over Bisquick topping……
- Place tomatoes in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until Bisquick topping is golden on top…….
- Let cool for 20 minutes, slice, serve and enjoy 😉!!!.
This tasty tomato pie recipe from Paula Deen makes a flavorful vegetable side dish or appetizer. Ingredients include fresh tomatoes, cheddar cheese and a baked pie crust. This savory Southern Tomato Pie is made with summer-ripe tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and Easy Southern Tomato Pie. This post may contain affiliate links which won't change your price but will. Servings Per Recipe Heirloom Tomato Pie Recipe. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines.