Baked apple and sweet potatoes. These baked apples are stuffed with a sweet potato, pineapple and pecan filling and topped with marshmallows. These Baked Apples and Sweet Potatoes are loaded with nutrients like vitamin A and flavored with spices which help to keep the added sugar low. When you're craving a sweet breakfast and want something simple and comforting, this breakfast bake is the perfect option.
Bake this casserole dish for an hour. Mix the hot water and honey together. Sweet potatoes take longer to get fully cooked and browned than apples, which is why it is very important to roast the sweet potatoes alone first. You can have Baked apple and sweet potatoes using 5 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Baked apple and sweet potatoes
- It’s 4 large of apples.
- It’s 2 large of sweet potatoes.
- It’s 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- It’s 12 tbsp of cinnamon splenda blend.
- You need 2 tbsp of low fat margerine.
Return the pan to the oven and bake until the sweet potatoes and apples are browned and the maple syrup has caramelized, or thickened. Sweet potatoes are also a favorite on holidays, making this ham and sweet potato bake the best of both worlds. This recipe uses a large ham steak, but leftover slices of ham can be used as well. It is flavored with brown sugar and apples and it makes a delicious dish for family members of any age.
Baked apple and sweet potatoes step by step
- Preheat oven to 350°F..
- Wrap sweet potatoes in paper towels and microwave on high for 6 minutes. Flip potatoes and microwave another 6 minutes for 12 minutes total..
- Combine 2T ground cinnamon and enough sugar substitute to make about 1/2 cup cinnamon blend. I use Splenda because it bakes well and can be used in a 1:1 ratio to replace sugar..
- Remove potatoes and let cool..
- Core, peel and section apples into slices that are ~5-10 mm thick (1/4-1/2" thick). Add lemon juice and refrigerate to keep sections from browning..
- Peel sweet potatoes and slice into sections ~the same thickness as the apple slices..
- Build the dish as follows: layer sweet potato slices in bottom of casserole dish. Dab each slice with a little margerine. Sprinkle 2-3 T of cinnamon blend over the layer. Add a layer of apple slices and sprinkle another layer of cinnamon blend..
- Repeat step 7 until all the sweet potato and apple slices are used. The top layer should be apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon blend..
- Bake uncovered for ~50 minutes. Test apples to be certain they are done. Let stand 5 minutes and serve..
Fresh apples and sweet potatoes come into season in the fall, which makes autumn the perfect time to try out this recipe. Maple syrup adds a touch of dessert-like sweetness, while lemon zest balances it out with a bit of tang. Toss in the apples and sweet potatoes. Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes until done but still firm. When cool enough to handle, peel them and cut into ½-inch-thick slices.